Aug 13, 2012

When I Arrive In A Country, I Ask The Cab Driver How The Economy Is Doing

When I arrive in a country, the first thing I do is ask the cab driver how the economy is doing or what he thinks about their government. When I’m in the hotel, I ask the same questions, or I walk around and go to the local shopping center. You know, I try to get a sense. And when I’m in a country I also try to talk to people who are not necessarily purely the elite.

I think it’s true that the 1 Percent or the elite are living in a world of, maybe, excessive privilege, and they don’t fully realize how much pain and suffering, how much anxiety exists out there. I think there are lots of things that we have to figure out to make sure that we don’t have a social and political backlash. - in Business Insider 

Related: iShares MSCI Emerging Markets ETF (EEM), iShares MSCI Brazil Index ETF (EWZ), iShares FTSE/Xinhua China 25 Index (FXI)

Nouriel Roubini is an American economist. He teaches at New York University's Stern School of Business and is the chairman of Roubini Global Economics.